This policy (“Policy”) applies to your use of the DIRECTV NOW service and/or WatchTV service, which are provided by DIRECTV LLC and its affiliates (“we” or “us”), which may be accessed through various supported platforms, such as a browser, mobile device, tablet, Smart TV, or on a streaming device (“the app”).
You agree, for each device or user that accesses these apps, to the DIRECTV NOW terms and conditions (for DIRECTV NOW users) and to the WatchTV terms and conditions (for WatchTV users), and to the following collection, use, and sharing of data. This Policy not only applies to you, but also to anyone else who uses the app. You and anyone who uses the app will be subject to the same terms allowing AT&T to collect, use and share data with third parties for their own use (including app data, viewership and Your Location Information). You are responsible for making sure all users of the app are aware of this Policy and communicate the choices that may be available to them.
We may provide you a simplified log-in process for users that you authorize to use the app.
When and what information is collected?
We collect information about you from:
Your use of the app on your phone, tablet, computer, smart television or any other device. This includes things like:
- what videos, stations or programs you watch and when;
- where you’re located; and
- how you use the app (such as what you click on or search for).
Your account. This includes things like:
- information you provide us through the registration process; and
- subscriptions to DIRECTV NOW and WatchTV services associated with their respective apps.
The mobile devices on which you use the app. This includes things like:
- mobile number and IP address;
- location; and
- unique identifiers associated with the devices.
Your use of this service through the website associated with this app we may collect things like:
- information about your computer, like its operating system and IP address; and
- information from cookies and other similar technologies including flash cookies, web beacons, widgets, server logs or third-party plug-ins
Third parties, including things like:
- demographic and other data from publicly available sources.
A note about Do Not Track - We don’t respond to “do not track” signals. For more information on Do Not Track, please visit allaboutdnt.com.
How might we use your information?
- We may use the information we collect through your use of the app to provide and improve the service; to tailor your experience including things like making recommendations; to provide you with local programming; to conduct analytics; for fraud prevention purposes; and to help us and third parties serve you with advertisements or marketing materials in and outside the app.
- In addition, we use location information, such as GPS or IP address (“Your Location Information”), for example, to provide access to local programming, deliver services and features, such as the channel guide, improve the service, and to prevent fraud. Your Location Information also helps us and third parties serve you with advertisements or marketing materials. Without Your Location Information, we may not be able to provide access to certain services and features, including live local, channels or other content with geographic restrictions.
- We may combine and use data, including Your Location Information and viewing data collected from the app with other data, as described in this Policy.
Do we share your information and, if so, with whom?
- We may share information collected through the app, as described in this Policy, with other companies within the AT&T family of companies, including our affiliates, and vendors to help fulfill marketing offers, provide or improve service, conduct analytics, and serve you with advertisements or marketing materials in and outside the app.
We may also share information collected through the app with third parties for advertising or marketing purposes such as: what shows are watched, general interests (e.g., sports lover) and other information collected about you (e.g., location) as described in this Policy. We determine your specific and general interests based on information collected through the app, as described in this Policy. When we share data with third parties, we use identifiers such as device or operating system identifiers. This could include but is not limited to your Apple or Android advertising ID.
- We share this information to help fulfill marketing offers, provide or improve service, conduct analytics, and help us and third parties serve advertisements and marketing materials in and outside of the app.
- When we say “third parties” with whom we share data, we mean advertisers, content providers (companies that create or distribute video programming or content), social media networks, analytics firms (companies that measure and analyze consumer behavior, including what users watch), and ad networks (companies that deliver and track ads for advertisers across numerous websites, applications and devices).
- When you use the app through a third-party device that requests your viewing information we will allow the third party to access this viewing information. This could include, for example, what shows were watched and where you paused the show. We will only allow the third party to access your viewing information if you consent to us sharing it. You may decline to consent or later withdraw your consent from the third party streaming device.
- Your information may be used in aggregate reports that won’t identify you personally, such as a report on how many people watched a certain television show or reports we may sell to other companies for their own marketing, advertising or other similar uses.
We may also share information to:
- Respond to 911 requests and other emergencies or exigencies;
- Comply with court orders and other legal process;
- Assist with identity verification, and prevent fraud and identity theft;
- Enforce our agreements and protect our rights or property; and
- Obtain payment for products and services including the transfer or sale of delinquent accounts to third parties for collection.
How will app customer data be governed if you also have products and services from AT&T?
- If you opted in or have been opted in to AT&T’s Enhanced Relevant Advertising program and we combine this information with other AT&T products and services, the Enhanced Relevant Advertising terms will also apply. For information on the AT&T Enhanced Relevant Advertising program, click here.
What information is not covered by this Policy?
What safeguards do you have in place to protect my information?
- We work hard to protect your information. And though we cannot guarantee the protection of your information, we've established electronic and administrative safeguards designed to help make the information we collect secure.
- In the event of a security incident, laws and regulations direct us in how to give you notification when certain types of sensitive information are involved. We will provide you with notice in accordance with these laws and regulations.
- We will keep your personally identifiable information in connection with your use of the app as long as you are a customer and/or user or until it is no longer needed for business, tax or legal purposes.
Do you collect information about my children's use?
- We do not knowingly collect personally identifying information from anyone under the age of 13 unless we first obtain permission from the child's parent or legal guardian.
What choices and controls do I have over the use of my data?
You are in control. You have choices and controls over how your data is collected, used, and shared when you use this app:
- Collection of Information: You can stop the collection of information through this app by uninstalling the app.
- DIRECTV NOW and WatchTV Promotional Emails: For DIRECTV NOW subscribers, by creating an account, you agree to receive promotional emails regarding DIRECTV NOW. To unsubscribe from emails relating to DIRECTV NOW, click here or by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of each promotional email you receive. Your decision regarding whether you want to receive DIRECTV NOW promotional emails is separate from your decision regarding promotional emails for other AT&T products and services. You can find your choices and controls over promotional emails for other AT&T products and services here.
- Online Behavioral Advertising: In accordance with industry self-regulatory principles, you can opt out of online behavioral advertising from companies who participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance by going to their Consumer Choice Page or selecting this icon when you see it on an online ad. To limit collection of data on websites that may be used for advertising, go here for information on how to manage cookies and other similar technologies on your computer.
What happens if there is a change in corporate ownership or to this policy?
- Information about our customers and users, including personally identifiable information, may be shared and transferred as part of any merger, acquisition, sale of company assets or transition of service to another provider. This also applies in the unlikely event of an insolvency, bankruptcy or receivership in which customer and user records would be transferred to another entity as a result of such a proceeding.
- We may update this Policy as necessary to reflect changes we make and to satisfy legal requirements. The most recent version of the Policy will always be made available through the app. If we make material changes to this Policy, we will notify you to obtain your consent for those changes.
Your California Privacy Rights
- California Civil Code Section 1798.83 entitles California customers to request information concerning whether a business has disclosed personal information to any third parties for their direct marketing purposes. As stated in this Policy, by using our app you agree to the sharing of your information with other companies to use for their own marketing purposes. If you don’t want us to share your information collected through our app with third parties, you must uninstall the app from all of your devices.
- California customers who want to request further information about our compliance with these requirements, or would like to request a copy of information regarding our disclosure to third parties for their direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year, or have questions or concerns about our privacy practices and policies may contact us at the contact information listed below.
How to contact us about this Policy
Contact us at either of these addresses for any questions about this Policy. Please specify if you are emailing or writing us about DIRECTV NOW app or WatchTV app.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for choosing AT&T.